Fatigue & Energy Problems
Are you sick and tired of feeling tired?
Do you feel tired, even when you’ve gotten plenty of sleep the night before? Does your mind feel “foggy” all day long, no matter how many cups of coffee you have? Do simple tasks overwhelm you because you lack the energy and focus to get started? You are not alone! Fatigue is increasingly common in our modern society and is one of the most frequent symptoms reported to healthcare practitioners.
According to the Institute of Medicine (IOM), an estimated 836,000 to 2.5 million Americans suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), but most of them have not been diagnosed and the numbers are growing affecting men, women and children. Julie had an extremely high level of the Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) linked to the CFS in 1999. After becoming a nutritionist, she has successfully put it into remission.
The problem with fatigue is that it has numerous potential causes and often requires a lot of investigation to determine the underlying root cause(s).
Causes of Fatigue
Poor diet, lack of sleep and chronic stress are undoubtedly the most obvious causes of fatigue, however there are many other possible causes that are less obvious and most often overlooked. Have you considered any of these potential causes?…
- Food sensitivities, intolerances or allergies
- Nutrient deficiencies (see here)
- Chronic mild dehydration
- Blood sugar/glucose issues
- Bio-toxin/mold-related illness
- Adrenal dysfunction
- Thyroid issues (especially Hypothyroidism)
- Heavy metal toxicity
- Gut issues
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (possibly due to viral infections like Epstein Barr Virus)
- Chronic infections (bacteria, yeast, parasites)
- Mitochondrial dysfunction
- Iron overload (example: with Hemochromatosis)
- High cortisol levels
- Skipping meals
- Hormone issues
- Excessive sugar intake
- Statin use which affect CoQ10 levels
- Leaky Gut Syndrome
- Environmental allergies
- Chronic stress (can deplete DHEA and cortisol levels)
- Sleep Apnea (lack of oxygen during sleep)
- Exposure to environmental toxins
How We Can Help
At Fortitude Functional Nutrition, we take the time to dig deeper to understand what’s contributing to your fatigue. This is where our functional approach can be so helpful. Detailed intake forms and functional laboratory testing allow us to look for the underlying patterns of dysfunction. Then, using customized natural treatments and diet & lifestyle changes, we’ll provide actionable steps you can take to supercharge your energy levels and help get your mojo back.