Julie Olson, CN, BCHN, B.Sc., Dip.C.N.
While working at Warner Bros. Pictures in California as a Senior Media Research Analyst, I received a phone call which informed me that my mother was diagnosed with Stage-3 breast cancer. Within weeks, I moved back to my home-state, Colorado, to be closer to my mother and support her through her treatments. Through my search for her cure I discovered the power of healthy foods and lifestyle choices as the real medicine for illness. My new discovery led me back to school where I studied holistic and functional nutrition. My studies left me fascinated and I was hooked.
At this point I started to analyze my own fast-paced lifestyle and realized that I was putting blinders on my own health. Often I was fatigued, but blamed it on my competitive job and late-night social events. I worked through my fatigue, never stopping to listen to my body. I didn’t consider the importance of my food choices, sleep or stress management. Later testing revealed extremely high Epstein Barr Virus, also known as the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I started to put my health puzzle together. I discovered gluten and other food intolerances, hypothyroidism, gut imbalances and H pylori. Something had to change…
So I immersed myself in a new lifestyle and career. I began working as a Nutritional Health Coach at Natural Grocers, a nationwide natural food and supplement store. For six years, I conducted private nutrition therapy sessions, taught nutrition and cooking classes, educated and tested 40+ employees monthly on nutrition subjects, and hosted annual health and gluten-free tasting fairs. I received extensive training, knowledge and experience in nutritional vitamins, minerals and herbal supplements. I was featured in nutrition segments on television and radio for interviews and cooking demos. I presented nutrition classes to national and local organizations, companies and associations.
Then I obtained a role as a Functional Nutritionist/Health Coach in functional medicine practices working side-by-side with Medical Doctors. The goal with all of our patients was to find underlying root causes, often digging deeper with cutting-edge lab testing, to create solutions. By employing a system to document each client’s actions, events, and environmental influences that had accumulated during their life, we analyzed patterns, correlations and triggers that ranged from specific foods, environmental exposures and habits. I coached each client tailored to their specific needs and our goals. It often included customized food plans, targeted nutrients, herbs and supplementation, plus lifestyle recommendations individualized for each person.
My passion is to provide inspirational tools, guidance and education to empower all of my clients for long-term success. I am very grateful I discovered this in time to help my mother, who made positive food and lifestyle changes and today is a healthy and thriving breast cancer survivor!
EDUCATION, DEGREES and CREDENTIALS
- Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition® (BCHN) by the Holistic Nutrition Credentialing Board and the National Association of Nutrition Professionals (NANP) Certification Board
- Certified Nutritionist (CN) by American Health Science University and the National Institute of Nutrition Education
- Certified Gluten-Free Practitioner (CGP) by Thomas O’Bryan DC, CCN, DACBN
- Gluten Free Society Practitioner Tier 1 Certified by the Gluten Free Society Glutenology; Peter Osborne PScD, DC
- Diploma of Comprehensive Nutrition (Dip.C.N.) from Huntington University of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) from University of Colorado, Boulder
- Institute of Functional Medicine (IFM) Advanced Practice Modules: Gastrointestinal; Cardiometabolic; Immune; Hormones; Energy; Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice; Intro to Functional Nutrition: Clinical Solutions for Addressing the Underlying Causes of Disease.
- Julie’s listing as a Functional Medicine Practitioner: https://www.ifm.org/practitioners/julie-olson/
- Functional Medicine University currently completing certification program
- Functional Medicine 1-Year Mentorship with Diane Mueller ND, DAOM, LAc, and Miles Nichols DAOM, MS, LAc; included coursework on Adrenal Glands, HPA Axis and Stress; Detoxification and the Liver; Cardiometabolic; Hormones; Mindfulness for Clinical Applications.
- Food Allergies & Sensitivities in the New Millennium and Neuroendocrine Immunology of Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) with Datis Kharrazian DHSc, DC, DACBN, DACNB, FACN, CNS
- High Cholesterol Action Plan with Chris Kresser MS, LAc
- Balancing Moods for the Better with Julia Ross MA, NNTS
- National Association of Nutrition Professionals (NANP) Annual Conferences
- Yoga of Sleep: Healing Sleep and Dreams with Rubin Naiman PhD at the Bahamas Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS and MEMBERSHIPS
- Institute of Functional Medicine
- National Association of Nutrition Professionals
- American Nutrition Association
- Healing Hope Tribe for Autism
- Gluten Free Society Glutenology